Transfer Students

Application Process

Contact Us

Are you an accepted Transfer Student and wondering your next steps?

Visit our Transfer Student Information Page for more information. 

The University of Hartford is excited to help you with the next step in your college career.

With seven distinct schools and colleges, a UHart education encourages a variety of viewpoints. Because of that, our graduates are well-equipped to succeed in a world that requires global awareness and understanding.

We look forward to assisting you throughout the application process and welcoming you to the UHart community.

Why Transfer

Visit Opportunities

Get to know us during one of our visit opportunities

Transfer Meet & Greet

Learn more about UHart and your opportunities as a transfer student in a one-on-one session with our transfer counselor. This session is offered on a weekly basis.
Find a date. 

Transfer Admission Open Hours

Learn more about specific admission requirements, life at UHart, and transfer credits in a general information session. 
Sign up now.

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

We continue to strengthen our relationship with two-year schools by exploring and establishing transfer credit agreements to ease the transition for transfer students. Below is a list of community colleges we've established credit equivalencies with and/or articulation agreements:

  • Asnuntuck Community College
  • Capital Community College
  • CSCUS to Engineering, Technology, Architecture 
  • Cuyahoga Community College
  • Dean College
  • Gateway Community College
  • Manchester Community College
  • Middlesex Community College
  • Naugatuck Valley Community College
  • Northwestern CT Community College
  • Tunxis Community College
  • Schenectady County Community College

Connecticut Guarantee

Under the new Connecticut Transfer Guarantee, applicants who earn an associate’s degree from a community college in Connecticut, and achieve a minimum GPA of 2.50, will be guaranteed acceptance to UHart.

Transfer Credits

  • Credits were earned at a regionally accredited university or college
  • The course was a 100 level or higher course (i.e. ENG 101 Freshman Composition NOT ENG 098 Preparing for College Writing)
  • The student earned a C- or higher in the course
  • The course covered material that is similar to subject matter offered at the University of Hartford
  • We have received an official transcript from the institution at which the course was taken.
  • We will accept coursework done online as long as the student can provide an official transcript from an accredited institution; the exception is that we cannot accept online lab science coursework.

The University of Hartford recognizes Advanced Placement Examinations for college credit validated by a satisfactory score of 3, 4, or 5 (4 or 5 for English).

Up to 27 credits in CLEP General Examinations will be accepted at the University of Hartford when the minimum score requirements have been met.

IB Credit is awarded at the IB higher level subject (HL) with a score of 4 or higher (5 or higher for Math).

The University of Hartford may consider college credit through DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) and LINCS (Learning in Non-Credit Settings). Testing and further information regarding each program can be found by contacting the Center for Graduate and Adult Academic Services at 860.768.4371.

Credit may also be granted for service-connected learning experiences as recommended by the A.C.E. Guide for Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces. A maximum of 15 credits may be earned through A.C.E.

Credit from outside the United States will need to be evaluated by a NACES Member. To learn more about the participating organizations please visit their website at:

The University of Hartford only accepts credits from institutions that are regionally accredited. This is different from state or independent bodies.

Undergraduate matriculated students have the option to take a course if needed at another institution and transfer the credits to University of Hartford. Students will need permission to take a course at another institution BEFORE the course is taken. The permission ensures that the credit will be transferable back to University of Hartford and will determine the course equivalency.

Please read, and fill out the Permit for Transfer Credit Form and obtain the proper approval from your college evaluator.

Reminder—The residence requirement is that the student completes at least their final 30 credits at the University of Hartford.

If you have any questions about the procedure, please email Maureen Wimberger, the Transfer Coordinator at

Upon completion of the course (minimum grade of “C-“) you must request an official transcript be sent directly from the institution to the University of Hartford.

University of Hartford
Office of Admission
200 Bloomfield Ave
West Hartford, CT 06117

Admission Requirements and FAQ

Transfer students should apply the semester before their desired entry date, and should complete the following:

  • Admission application

  • $35 application fee

  • Official collegiate transcripts from all previously attended institutions regardless of achievement or desired credit. (Please have your official transcript sent prior to the conclusion of the semester you are currently enrolled in.)

Applicants to The Hartt School:
Applicants to all Hartt degree programs will audition and/or interview through a recorded audition. Please visit our Auditions and Interviews page to learn more about audition requirements and submission instructions. Undergraduate music theatre and actor training applicants as well as graduate level conducting, music education, artist diploma, and doctoral applicants will need to submit preliminary recordings. 

The Hartford Art School:
The Hartford Art School requires a portfolio review for admission to its programs of study. Learn more about transfer admission to the Hartford Art School. 

Education Majors:
All applicants with 48 or more college credits will be required to either submit SAT/ACT scores taken within 10 years of the application date or complete the Praxis l prior to applying. To find a testing site in your area please visit Please contact the Admission Office with any questions.

A transfer student is someone who has 24 or more credits earned of post-secondary education within two years of high school graduation. (excluding any AP or IB Early College credits taken in highschool). Or, a student who is out of high school for two or more years with any number of credits

Individuals entering UHart directly from high school with any number of credits taken during their high school years (AP, IB, Early College credits) will still be classified as a First-Year student, but credits will be evaluated for transfer into UHart. 

There are some programs that may consider a transfer student a first-year student for course placement. Example: Hartford Art School's Foundations Program and College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions Sciences and/or Education. 

  • Courses that have been completed at a regionally accredited degree-granting institution
  • Courses that are freshman (100) level or higher and are deemed compatible or equivalent to a University of Hartford course
  • Courses that have been completed with a grade of “C-“ or higher

Your grades, including your GPA, do not transfer. Only your credits will transfer.

When will I receive my transfer evaluation?

Students will receive their transfer credit evaluation two to three weeks after their acceptance, with the exception of a few programs. If it has been more than three weeks since your acceptance and you have not received your transfer credit evaluation, please contact the Admission Office at 860.768.4296.

Will all my transferable credits apply to my degree program?

Not necessarily. The Office of Admission will determine which credits will transfer into the University. The college evaluator for your school or college will determine how your credits may apply to your program.

Yes, students must be attending full-time, a US citizen or Permanent Resident, and without a previously earned Bachelor's degree to be considered for non-need based aid. Eligibility is contingent upon the timeliness of your application for admission and the availability of funds.

Transfer students are eligible for one of the following:

  • Artistic Merit Scholarship (based on art portfolio review for art programs)
  • Performing Arts Scholarship (based on audition/interview for music, dance & theatre programs)
  • Athletic Scholarship (based on athletic ability)
  • Alumni Grant (based on academic achievement)
  • Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship (based on nomination/academic achievement)
  • President to President Scholarship (based on nomination/academic achievement)

Students enrolled in The Hartt School are ineligible for academic scholarships and academic grants.

All students who file the Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA) will be considered for additional need based funds . We recommend filing online through the federal government website FAFSA. For best consideration, file by Feb.15 prior to the academic year for which you wish to receive financial aid.

If you miss the deadline, you may still apply for financial aid, but some funds may be unavailable. Applications for aid will continue to be processed as long as funds are available. If you have not yet applied, do so immediately.

Can I be accepted as a part-time transfer student?

Yes! if you have been admitted as a part-time student, you will need to contact the appropriate college evaluator to discuss your credits and register for classes. Please contact the Office of Admission if you need contact information for your college evaluator.

Can I be accepted as a full-time transfer student?

Yes! If you have been accepted as a full-time student, you should submit your enrollment deposit as soon as possible to reserve your place in the incoming class. This payment also secures your housing and financial aid. You will need to submit your enrollment deposit before you are able to register for classes.

Can I take classes as a non-matriculated student?

Yes! Students can take up to 15 credits as a non-matriculated student. Please contact the Registrar's Office to register for classes at 860.768.4999.

If you have attended any post secondary institution, even if you have withdrawn, you are required to submit an official transcript. You are considered a transfer student unless deemed otherwise through a review of the transcript. Failure to submit or disclose prior attendance may result in withdrawal of your application.

Start your UHart journey today. Take the next step.